Yikes! So Many Things To Worry About...
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heart hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV).
Our world is rapidly changing, becoming more complex, challenging and downright terrifying! It’s no wonder many of us struggle with: fitting in, identity, depression, anxiety, hate, anger, pressure, and resentment.
Recent research suggests worry plagues millions. It's human nature for us to be concerned about the negative circumstances in our world and personal lives. If we're not careful, the enemy will cause us to worry beyond what's rational. What’s worse, we're led to define ourselves by our worries. Yikes!
There're so many things to worry about. We worry about finding a decent job and then when we do we worry about keeping it. We worry about our children and their safety (even when they're adults). We worry about road rage, terrorists, police brutality, our finances, if we can trust the government, who we elect for the presidency, going to the movies, the mall, getting on a plane or going to the beach (even the sharks seem to be turning on us). We worry about hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, aging, being too young, not measuring up, speaking in public, our health, and that inescapable thing called death.
I think you get the point...
Then what should we do?
Here are 7 powerful biblical solutions to help us NOT worry:
- Cast your care on the one who cares for you: Paul said...it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me (Gal. 2:20). When you have a positive attitude and keep your faith in God, you can't be defeated.
- Don’t worry, let go: Look at Paul's instructions in( 4:6-7): Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.
- Sow truth instead of lies: “Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.”(John 8:32)
- Focus on what’s received rather than what’s owed. “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace. “ (Eph. 1:7-8)
- Generously dish out grace rather than count debt owed. “Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)
- Be thankful. “Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.” (Heb.12:28)
- Worship God, not the problem: “Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.” (Heb. 13:15)
Dear Father, please help me in times of struggle with my worries. Help me to avoid defining myself by what troubles me. Jesus, I need your help in the storms and dark places in life. When things go well, help me to be thankful and keep close to you.
Your turn. How do you deal with worry? Do you have a suggestion to combat worry to add to the list?